“What To Eat To Get a Six Pack” or “No Carbs?!”

5 Mar

Last week I met with a trainer, Leah (soon to be featured) who started out our session with an intense forty minute nutrition evaluation. She asked me what my goals are, and my standard response to this question has now become “I want to be ripped like Kelly Ripa”. Leah laughed, and she said “Okay, well what’s your specific goal?” To which I replied, “I want a six pack. Just one time in my life. That’s it. Just once. And then it can go away!” Note: This is the same trainer who made me unintentionally realize I’m a couch potato.

With my washboard abs goal on the table, Leah laid out what she believed it would take for me to achieve it–and it was all diet based. Get this–in two months, I could had the six pack of my dreams, if only I could:

• cut out carbs 100%
  • cut out dairy 100%
  • drink only water and iced tea
  • cut out artificial sweeteners

Holy smokes. As she told me this via skype, I said to her “Wow. Okay, I can try!” but she said “Don’t try! Just do it!” So this whole weekend, I tried to just do it. The biggest changes I had to make were my breakfast and snacking habits. No more oatmeal pancakes, no more pb&j’s (ahhh!!!), no more cereal straight from the box. Adios crackers and hummus. Sionara greek yogurt.

Hello celery and peanut butter with a little cinnamon on top:

celery and peanut butter

Hey there, orange cut up on a plate looking very seductive:

cut up orangeOther eats include eggs, eggs, and more eggs (really diggin’ them hard boiled with salt & pepper), grilled chicken with steamed veggies, tons of berries, raw walnuts and almonds, chicken sausage, and fish. I’ve been VERY hungry. I mean, I always am, but this time I find that I have to much more mindful of what I’m grabbing.

And then yesterday it occurred to me: am I on a diet? This is weird. Wow. I kind of am! It doesn’t really feel that way because it’s not like I don’t eat when I’m hungry, I’m just choosing other things (and a lot of them). But still, it is kind of diet-like. I said this to Dave when the light-bulb sprung on over my head, and he said t me “Look, the word ‘diet’ came to have such a negative connotation about restriction, but really diet just means ‘what you eat’, and now you’re just eating different things.” And he was right. And that made me feel better.

But then for some reason last night, all I wanted in this world was a hamburger. And let me tell you, I NEVER crave hamburgers. Mostly because I don’t really like them. Never have. Last night, though, it seemed to be the most appealing thing in the world to me. And before I knew it, Dave and I were at a bar on a Sunday night, scarfing down on these:

Courtesy of this place–which was one featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives:

The burgers were DIVINE. Totally hit the spot. It was charred on the outside, crazy juicy on the inside. And then this morning I made waffles.

No carbs fail is go. At least I haven’t had dairy?

P.S. I do have to say, that before the sudden jump off of the healthy-eating cliff, I was feeling wonderfully light, and I think it was mostly in my head. When you’re making the right food choices (whatever “right” means for you), you just feel good about yourself.

P.P.S. Those burger pictures are from yelp–I forgot to take a photo last night because I dove in head first.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

8 Responses to ““What To Eat To Get a Six Pack” or “No Carbs?!””

1. Mitchell - Home Fitness Manual March 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Mel, what goal date did you and your trainer settle on for when you’ll have those abs? Oh, and good luck.

-Mitchell

• melruns March 5, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Hey Mitchell–about 2 months, give or take, depending on how well I adhere. The goal is to lose about 3% bodyfat to get the abs shining through :) (don’t know if burgers + fries are going to get me there though!)

2. Jen Selverian March 6, 2012 at 2:48 am #

Dude, what about my evil nemesis: white wine? I guess that’s a carb? Did Leah say no booze too? And fruit = carb? That limits your diet to chicken, eggs, and salad. I’d last about 2.5 days.

How about Paleo and kicking up your core exercises so even if you have a little white wine/chocolate pouch, you have some definition ‘shining thru.’ Paleo allows fruit in moderation. Also, my rule is oatmeal (slow carb) is okay first thing in the AM so you have all day to work it off.

The burger looks DIVINE. I don’t blame you one bit & I hope you had an iced cold beer.

• melruns March 6, 2012 at 2:57 am #

Jen- ZERO alcohol! She said that alcohol slows your metabolism down by 33% while it’s in your system, and any food you eat has a much higher chance of being stored as backup energy (aka fat). Fruit is a carb, she said no more than 2 a day, but at first I would crave it, so to stock up on berries, etc. So far I haven’t made it one day without carbs haha but we’ll see what tomorrow brings. I think that I don’t need to go 100% to achieve this–but if I can go 80% that can do it, AND I get to keep my sanity

3. Jen Selverian March 6, 2012 at 3:14 am #

Hmm, I’d say, “Let’s make a challenge out of it,” but I’d choose wine over washboard most days.

Check out this workout I found after drooling over Ryan Gosling in CrazyStupidLove: http://www.kinobody.com/790/how-to-get-v-abs/

4. Leah March 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Lol. Girl you’re crazy. Next time go for the Carl’s Jr. low carb burger with no cheese and NO FRIES. Yuck, I am so trained to this the thought of fries totally grosses me out. I would much prefer some grilled meat with a full plate of veggies any day, but I guess that’s why I got a 6 pack;) You should really log onto my flicker group just to look at what people eat that is within those guidelines. Many similarities to Paleo. It works. Promise. And it can taste good too:) And don;t forget after two weeks you get cheat days. Do or do not. There is no try. Trying will not get you a 6 pack but doing will!

5. Rachel March 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

I’m desperately attempting the no (or low) carb thing as well. The first week (I’m on week three) was miserable. I had the shakes. I was light-headed. I was starving. No matter how much I ate, I was still hungry. At one point I devoured a banana like it was a huge stack of pancakes. I needed carbs. Now in week three, I’ve decided to allow myself the occasional piece of fruit, greek yogurt and one cheat day every once in a while so I don’t go insane. I’ve also diversified my proteins to keep me satisfied and interested in my meals. Lots of lean beef, because I really enjoy the flavor and it measures up more nutrient-rich than most other proteins. And if I need a hamburger, I don’t feel bad about it, I just eat a hamburger salad and leave off the bun. Let’s face it, that burger isn’t so bad when you subtract hundreds, if not a thousand-plus, calories from not eating the bun and french fries!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. “Scheduling time for personal change” or “OMG I went running for the first time in a year!” | Mel Runs - May 16, 2012

[...] so I ran for 11 years–hitting the pavement to eek out at least 3 miles a day, day after day, waiting for my 6 pack to arrive (it didn’t). Well, after enough time, my knees started to hurt me. Not only that, but people [...]