When I started this blog back in 2009 (back when it was called “She Runs Brooklyn”), I was completely immersed in running. I loved running for two reasons: 1) it felt really good to use up all my energy- I love endorphins, and 2) it kept me in shape. I had been running for eleven years, dating back to the high school track team, and it was one of the only forms of exercise and release that I knew. It was just a part of me.
At some point though, I think I burned out mentally. I got bored of it. I struggled to find the motivation (I was even googling motivation.. hilarious)–and also started to get knee pain from my intermittent long runs, which scared me. So I finally decided to break free of my running regime and try something different. Besides, I always wanted a six pack (not beer) and let’s face it, I could run 10 miles a day but that wasn’t not going to give me the kind of muscle tone I was looking for. Am I right or amiright?
Yes, she’s real. Pick your jaw up off the floor.
Zuzana and her husband Freddy write the BodyRock blog, and post a new workout almost everyday. The workouts are high intensity interval training (HIIT) routines, that never fail to kick extreme butt in a very short amount of time. Most of the workouts are between 12-20 minutes, and can be done at home. When I lived in NYC I did them in a gym due to my crazy neighbor, but now I can do them wherever I please! Shyeh!
Almost every morning I wake up around 7am, make some coffee, and watch the day’s routine online. I always wake up with a growling stomach, so I make myself half a piece of bread with pb&j on it to quell my hunger and get some pre-workout fuel without getting weighed down.
Then I bodyock. Aw yeahh. It always hurts, and I’m always sore the next day. But I have to say, I’ve never seen better results doing anything else in my entire exercising life. I’m someone who once couldn’t do one real push-up, and now I can do 10+ (shaking at the end, but it counts!). I’ve been following BodyRock so religiously, that when things come up in life that I’m unsure how to handle, Dave says to me, “What would Zuz do?” I urge you to adopt this .
This morning I did the “Caught Stripping Fat Workout“, after running outside for fifteen minutes to warm up. Click on that link to get your face melted by a video of Zuzana, OR read the steps below to see what I did:
Part 1 – repeat sequence as many times as possible in 6 minutes (I did 7.5)
- Commando Push Ups 2 reps (down on stomach, then push up and drive one knee towards chest. drop back down repeat with alt leg)
- Roll over (on your stomach a full 360 degrees so you end back on your stomach)
- Power up into a squat position
- Big jump forward
- 10 squats holding an 8lb weight on each shoulder
- Put weights down and do 2 small jumps back so that you are standing where you started
- Get down onto your stomach and roll over on the other side to the starting position
Part 2 – 6 minutes of intervals (alt 10 seconds rest and 50 seconds of go time)
- Sandbag swing (I used a 10lb weight because I don’t have a sandbag. Basically, stand in a squat position and swing weight in between legs and up. On the way up, stand up and squeeze everything. Your butt and lower abs will burn. Hot fire.)
- Sandbag situps (used 10lb. weight instead of sandbag again)
I was a sweaty mess after this, and ran up to my apartment to shower. Then proceeded to make oatmeal for a change, only to have it explode in the microwave.
Have any of you ever bodyrocked? If you’re in Austin and want to give it a shot, email me and we can get a group together.